Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hegemony and Diamond Rings

Hegemony is present in most every aspect of the media, but one outlet through which it is exceptionally prevalent is commercials. I found that Kay Jewelers commercials effectively and entertainingly prove the concept of hegemony. Hegemony is the use of media to create a consensus around certain ideas so that they come to be accepted as common sense. Through it, the ruling group is able to maintain its power and reinforce its ideology. Whether the ruling group is advertisers or television network owners, those few at the top hold the most authority. However, hegemony is not entirely one-way; rather, it rests on the public accepting the dominant ideology as normal.


From television commercials to print and radio advertisements, products are buried within the ideology of the dominant group. Hegemony puts many commercials into perspective, especially jewelry commercials. I’m sure most Americans could recognize and imitate the all-too-familiar “every kiss begins with Kay” jingle we are bombarded with every Valentines, Christmas, New Year’s, Mother’s, Father’s, Son’s, Daughter’s, you-get-the-point Day. Any holiday you can name, Kay Jewelers advertises extensively. Whether it’s a romantic commercial or a family oriented one, the theme is always the same. A piece of diamond jewelry: will make your relationship perfect, will make your partner happy, will right any wrong, is the best way to say I love you, and of course (as the jingle insists) is the way to get some action. This is certainly hegemony, because this ideal is widespread. I'm used to the notion of gift giving and specifically the connotation that jewelry-giving means the giver truly cares for the recipient. Every time I see these commercials (although I do think they are nauseatingly cheesy) I don’t find their message particularly unusual.

This commercial also connects to male and female roles and how the disparity between them persists in the media. I have yet to see a Kay commercial in which a woman sweeps the man off his feet and gives him a diamond item. Alas, dictated by stereotypes, the man is strong and handsome and the woman is pretty and easily pleased. In this particular commercial, the man makes it clear that he is the protector while the woman is passive, weak, and happy that she has someone looking after her. I certainly am reassured knowing that if I’m ever stuck in a frightening snowstorm, I can count on a diamond necklace to save me from my despair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltA50HKyM14

No comments:

Post a Comment